Koprivshtitsa is a treasury with its remarkable monuments of architecture and civil engineering from the period or the Bulgarian Revival /18th – 19th cc. /. Hundreds of old houses, which have been preserved in their original condition are picturesquely located in the town. The houses, along with the water fountains, the arched bridges, the cobble-stone streets, the high stone walls and churches form a unique ensemble.
There are 388 historic monuments from the National Revival period, of which 50 are of national importance. Koprivshtitsa has been granted the statute of a town-museum; since 1971 it has been an architectural and historic reserve; in 1978 it was announced a national architectural reserve of international importance and a center of international tourism.
House-museum Lyuben Karavelov
This complex from the National Revival period was built by local builders in the course of 25 years and represents an interesting architectural ensemble. The oldest building, which was built in 1810, is the ‘winter house’, in which Lyuben and Petko Karavelov were born – both of them subsequently devoted their whole lives to Bulgaria.
The house was built in the period 1853 – 1856 for the rich merchant from Koprivshtitsa Nencho Oslekov. Oslekov’s house, a masterpiece of the master-builder Mincho and Kosta Zograf enchants the visitor with its elaborate exterior and interior decoration.
The house of the poet Dimcho Debelyanov
The house where Dimcho Debelyanov was born has preserved to the present day the magic of the poetry of Bulgaria’s most tender poet.
House-museum of Todor Kableshkov
The house, where in 1851 the future author of the ‘Blood Letter’ was born is among the finest examples of the Bulgarian renaissance architecture. It was built in 1845 by the master-builder from Koprivshtitsa Gencho Mladenov. The house is characterized by its beautiful symmetrical forms.
The Lyutova house is an impressive architectural masterpiece. It was built in 1854 by Plovdiv master builders. Its first owner was Stefan Topalov. The house has richly painted walls and beautifully carved wooden ceilings. In 1906 the house was sold to the merchant Petko Lyutov – therefore the name, by which it is known to this day.
House-museum of Georgi Benkovski
This is the house where Georgi Benkovski was born - the courageous leader of the April Uprising and an activist of the Bulgarian revolutionary movement.